Monday 21 January 2008

How to be a pirate...

So I woke up this morning and noticed something wrong. Aside from the fact that I have to sleep with a huge cast sticking out of the end of my bed, there was something else causing me uncomfort, and it took me a few minutes to realise exactly why I couldn't drift back off again.

Turns out I'd slept on my hand all night. You know when you fall asleep with your hand behind your head, and you wake up and all of a sudden you can't feel it attached to the end of your arm, where you're pretty sure you left it the night before? Well I did that. So I now had pins and needles down my arm, or as we in the North West of England call it, a dead arm. I must have had it in under my head all night, because I sure as hell couldn't use it, but I could feel some kind of pain in my lower arm.

So what does this have to do with pirates? Well let's take a look:



This is the modern day pirate, and he is badass. I can relate to this guy on a whole bunch of levels, but there are 3 things that define the modern day pirate, weaponry aside:

1) The hook - Or more specifically, the inability to use one hand for its intended purpose, thus drawing a positive out of what is surely a very tender subject, and turning that thing into a weapon.

I could quite easily use my arm as a weapon right now. I can't feel a thing in it, so it's perfect for like, a club or something. Check.

2) The peg leg - Peg legs are a little cliche these days. I've gone one better. Without actually having been subject to a variety of situations where I might end up losing my leg, I just went ahead and broke it. The outcome is the same, even if the circumstances differ slightly.

Case and point, I'm still a one armed, one legged freak at the moment. Check.

3) Facial hair - SHIT. Curse my inability to grow any kind of substantial amounts of facial hair. All pirates need facial hair. It's a pre-requisite. All famous pirates have names like, Blackbeard, Bluebeard, Gingerbeard etc... You never heard of a pirate called The Stubble. A buccaneer named Gillette.

Regardless, of the 3 things, this is the most fixable. All I have to do is not shave for about 3 years, to change this:



into this:



Let's think positive eh? I could be plundering villages before you know it.

K x

No comments: